Possible Torrent Alternative.

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Oct 24 18:06:51 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 19:46 -0400, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> I'm NOT advocating a UDP P2P protocol but this is just plain wrong.
> To put it simply if TCP can do it so can you.  TCP has a lot of bulk
> in it that you just don't need and there are definitely going to be
> better ways you can do things if you write your own transport layer
> specific to your application.

Right, using UDP as a base is a very bad idea.  But writing your own
transport layer protocol is difficult.  There are many applications that
don't do well on TCP, or UDP.  Examine the progress of SCTP.  It has
many new features.  Is it widely supported now?  No, it's not.

I agree that TCP and UDP are not the best for every application, but
they are all we have for now.  File transfers, p2p or otherwise, would
best be done over TCP.  At least for now.

--lonnie