Possible Torrent Alternative.

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Wed Oct 24 17:53:39 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> Yes anything using TCP would be vulnerable.  So I'm saying for the
> purposes of this file transfer protocol lets ditch TCP all together
> and instead use UDP.

You seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room, that is that ISPs can
break a UDP-based protocol just as easily as they can with TCP.

ISPs can block UDP datagrams by port number with a single iptables rule.
They could even do it so randomly that it appears to be natural packet
loss, causing your protocol to totally break down. Just because there's
no "RST" bit in UDP doesn't mean ISPs can't break it. And Comcast has
demonstrated that they aren't above doing something like that.

But if you don't believe me, keep going down this UDP P2P track, and
I'll keep shooting holes in the protocol until you do.

If your aim is to get around an unscrupulous ISP, forget it. A new
protocol ain't gonna fix that problem. Choosing a new ISP will.

--Dave