Possible Torrent Alternative.

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Oct 24 17:11:12 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 10:54 -0600, Steve wrote:
> Therefore I would like to propose that we create a new protocol which
> is not susceptible to man in the middle attacks, and is stable, safe,
> secure and reliable.

You are either forgetting or mis-understanding the OSI model which
details the layers of protocols.

Comcast's approach to kill connections is targeted at the TCP layer.
This makes every layer on top of TCP vulnerable, including FTP, HTTP,
Gopher, SMTP, IMAP, POP, etc, etc, etc.

> However instead of using TCP, and a connection based protocol, it
> should use UDP and a connectionless protocol.

The overhead of TCP really isn't that bad.  Only 3 packets to start a
connection.  And an extra return packet for each packet sent.

p2p apps wouldn't work very well on top of UDP.  UDP has no delivery
guarantee.  Your proposal will increase overhead beyond that of TCP,
because no you have to re-implement retransmissions and data order.
Causing even slower downloads.

--lonnie