Possible Torrent Alternative.

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Oct 24 13:18:27 MDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 11:16:46AM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:

> Whoop, great way to kill all the internet. One of the biggest bandwidth
> users out there using UDP. Goodbye VOIP. Goodbye any goodwill ISPs had
> towards p2p.

This is a very important point.  Congestion control is extremely
important.  From what I understand, before congestion control was
implemented, the Internet basically died a few times.

However, you could just encapsulate TCP in UDP.  This would be much
simpler than the other ideas suggested in this thread, and it would
solve the problem at hand without crippling the network.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/