Possible Torrent Alternative.

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:53:18 MDT 2007

TCP is overkill, we need neither guaranteed, nor reliable, nor ordered delivery.
The request for bytes either comes back as a yes here's your bytes, or
no sorry we don't have those bytes but we do have this list of bytes,
or no sorry we don't have any bytes.

The bytes can come in any order, and the application simply re-assembles them.
Therefore UDP would be better in this case IMHO.

I see no reason to incur all the overhead that maintaining a TCP
connection entails.
Also one main purpose of this protocol is to prevent a man in the
middle attack with packet spoofing from occuring.  TCP is susceptible
to this in a unique way since a simple flow control packet, can
shutdown the connection on both sides.

With a signed and encrypted UDP this would not really be possible, or
at least I fail to see how that would be possible.  Although I guess
data poisoning is still possible.

Sincerely,
Steve