Possible Torrent Alternative.

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Oct 24 11:36:36 MDT 2007

Steve wrote [-1 top post, -1 no trim]:
> Well,
>
> One reason for using UDP, rather than TCP would be the simple fact
> that TCP has significantly more overhead than UDP.  That overheads
> costs bytes, by removing that overhead we perform the same function
> with a fairly good savings on bandwidth.

Sure but for most things you're going to have to build connections on
top of that anyway. So in the end you're going to end up with more
overhead than TCP.  Instead of letting the protocol stack deal with
corrections, retransmissions, etc, you'll be forced to do that yourself,
at the application level.  This will cost more bytes in the long run.