account management across multiple subnets

Nathan kemotaha at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:39:45 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:53 -0600, Kyle Waters wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > Kyle Waters wrote:
> >
> >>     We are using ldap for authentication.  So that part is easy, but
> >> then I need to create the users home directories on an nfs server that
> >> hosts home directories for the central server in the home office.  I
> >> also need to create a home directory on the samba server in the
> >> appropriate remote location.  Then when their account is deleted I need
> >> to delete both directories and their mail file.
> >>

> > For directory creation, you might use pam_mkhomedir, which automatically
> > creates a home directory when a new user logs in.
> >

> The problem is that on the remote box they only log in via samba+ldap.
> Which I'm told doesn't trigger pam.  Plus I have to run smbpasswd
> inorder to configure the ldap account for the samba settings(I'm looking
> into a better way of doing this).
>
> Kyle

You can use autofs to mount the smb share when they login and access it.
It is a farily simple setup.  Depending on the connection it could be
either a local share or a remote.

You could also use CFEngine.  We use it at work and it works well.  It
pushes out a passwd file as well as home directories.

There is also Puppet that does the same thing as cfengine but is newer
and written in perl.

Nathan