Datacenter Management Software

Mike Lovell toelovell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:11:59 MDT 2007

I have a question about software for managing LOTS of machines in a
datacenter. Here's what my situation is. Currently, I  manage 2
datacenters that contain a total of about 400 machines. Plus we are
growing at about 25 machines a month and have a few more datacenters on
the roadmap. The  operating system is Debian Etch. What I am wanting to
do is have a tool that will somewhat automate the process of installing
and configuring the software on new machines. I would really like a
utility that I can define roles and assign machines to different roles.
Also, a hook into dhcp would nice since all of the ip addressing is
managed by dhcp and all of the OS installs are done through dhcp and
PXE. Do any of you know of any utility out there that does anything like
this? I would prefer something that is open source but I can go with a
commercial solution. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
Mike Lovell
toelovell at gmail.com