Whats in your LDAP?

Louis Zirkel lzirkel at cendev.com
Sat Oct 20 14:35:11 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am in the process of gathering information on how I might unify the
> login systems of several utilities for a small company.
>
> Each has it's own login system, but interestingly enough all of them
> appear to also support LDAP.
>
> I have been researching LDAP a lot, and it seems to be an ideal choice
> for this purpose, but I'ld like to provide a front end to manage
> users.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with LDAP and can make a
> recommendation for an LDAP administration utility, preferably GUI
> based.  Something that makes the whole thing as user friendly as
> possible.

I know that others have mentioned phpLDAPadmin, which I have used and
quite like, but I recently found another tool that is not web based that
I quite like as well.  I had a need for a non-php tool recently and I
discovered JXplorer (http://www.jxplorer.org).  It is a java app that
works on numerous platforms and it has the ability to create custom
"templates" for various LDAP classes using HTML.  I've used it to make a
very simple centralized address book that my wife can understand and
it's worked quite well.

zzzirk