ubuntu bittorent downloads

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:20:44 MDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> I wonder. Bittorrent seems to take a while to get rolling. That's no
> big deal when you have one monster file lie a DVD ISO to pull in. But
> individual packages can be as small as 10KB. Plus the overhead of
> establishing a connection, etc. I wonder if bittorrent would be fast
> enough with a lot of smaller files to justify itself.

That's inherent in the design of bittorrent.  Its intended for larger
downloads over many networks.  Finding peers is one of its main jobs
and if the peers aren't there, its gonna take a while.  This is true
for most p2p apps, but bittorrent usually ramps up very fast for most
*popular* data.

Cheers,

Clint