ubuntu bittorent downloads

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Oct 19 21:45:24 MDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 at 23:03 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:39:31PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > I think it's time the major apt-like package managers got on the ball
> > and implemented downloading packages in a p2p fashion. I'm not
> > interested in reinstalling from CD. I'm not even interested in
> > downloading a CD bittorrent and doing some übergeek upgrade by changing
> > sources.list to point to the CD or something. It's just easier to let it
> > download all day.
> >
> > Alas, we barely have digitally signed package management infrastructure,
> > which has been years in coming and still has glitches. That makes p2p
> > fall squarely in the camp of pipe dream, I think.
>
> I wonder. Bittorrent seems to take a while to get rolling. That's no
> big deal when you have one monster file lie a DVD ISO to pull in. But
> individual packages can be as small as 10KB. Plus the overhead of
> establishing a connection, etc. I wonder if bittorrent would be fast
> enough with a lot of smaller files to justify itself.

Good point, though one could certainly use regular http or ftp if it's a
small transfer, and without too much high-falutin' intelligence, pool
all the packages into one transfer (this wouldn't work with straight
bittorrent, but it's within reason).

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach