ubuntu bittorent downloads

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:21:57 MDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> I think it's time the major apt-like package managers got on the ball
> and implemented downloading packages in a p2p fashion. I'm not
> interested in reinstalling from CD. I'm not even interested in
> downloading a CD bittorrent and doing some übergeek upgrade by changing
> sources.list to point to the CD or something. It's just easier to let it
> download all day.
>
> Alas, we barely have digitally signed package management infrastructure,
> which has been years in coming and still has glitches. That makes p2p
> fall squarely in the camp of pipe dream, I think.

Do you mean something like Gentoo?  Where we really don't have
"releases" like this, but rather just have updated packages that we
roll out when we update, and every couple of months maybe do an update
world?  I'm a fan of that type of option, where I get a new kernel and
new packages as they are released, not waiting for the next major
release cycle to update.  One of the reasons I keep moving back to
Gentoo is exactly that reason, I don't have to wait to get a new
kernel, I don't have to beat everyone to the mirror on release day,
and I don't have a massive spike in my network usage.

Or is it something else you are describing?

-Chad