ubuntu bittorent downloads

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Oct 19 09:06:17 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 20:39 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> I think it's time the major apt-like package managers got on the ball
> and implemented downloading packages in a p2p fashion. I'm not
> interested in reinstalling from CD. I'm not even interested in
> downloading a CD bittorrent and doing some übergeek upgrade by changing
> sources.list to point to the CD or something. It's just easier to let it
> download all day.
>
> Alas, we barely have digitally signed package management infrastructure,
> which has been years in coming and still has glitches. That makes p2p
> fall squarely in the camp of pipe dream, I think.

There was an article[1] a while back about using Freenet to distribute
Debian packages. It's certainly possible and assuming a certain wide
adoption of Freenet would make sense. The article was from 2002 and I
haven't seen any significant progress toward that end, so clearly it's
not an itch that anybody has cared enough to scratch.

Corey

1. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4847