ubuntu bittorent downloads

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Oct 18 23:03:19 MDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:39:31PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> I think it's time the major apt-like package managers got on the ball
> and implemented downloading packages in a p2p fashion. I'm not
> interested in reinstalling from CD. I'm not even interested in
> downloading a CD bittorrent and doing some übergeek upgrade by changing
> sources.list to point to the CD or something. It's just easier to let it
> download all day.
>
> Alas, we barely have digitally signed package management infrastructure,
> which has been years in coming and still has glitches. That makes p2p
> fall squarely in the camp of pipe dream, I think.

I wonder. Bittorrent seems to take a while to get rolling. That's no
big deal when you have one monster file lie a DVD ISO to pull in. But
individual packages can be as small as 10KB. Plus the overhead of
establishing a connection, etc. I wonder if bittorrent would be fast
enough with a lot of smaller files to justify itself.

However, what might work that is somewhere between P2P and mirroring
is an apt-cacher cache somewhere in the SLC area with a fat pipe to
Ubuntu or Debian upstream, which folks in the SLC area could then use.

Independent of that, one could set up an apt-cacher cache on one's own
network.