Advantages of Fiber

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 12:10:22 MDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Sterling Jacobson <sterling at ilc-it.net> wrote:

> Are you talking about the American Fork City FTTN Ethernet network?
>
> The American Fork system is quite different from the Utopia/iProvo system.
> It was the old Airswitch network and it shows it's age every time a storm
> comes up. And it wasn't targeted at business so most of the new business
> areas around Home Depot in AF don't even have the option.

Wow, that takes me back..

I used to work for AirSwitch - in fact was pretty chummy with  those guys
for a while even after I left; had [cough] stock etc..

If I remember correctly, they were running cat5 along the fence lines of
homes with switches in NEMA enclosures.  At one time it was supposed to be
called "backfence.net", but about the time they started getting funding
wireless became (somewhat) affordable so they had to ramp up their
infrastructure which they then turned into an ad-hoc wireless network.
Hence the name "AirSwitch".