KBYU has some strange advice?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Oct 13 14:26:34 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> Eitherway the advice should read something like.
>
> "Point your media player to ...."
>
> It doesn't need to specify a distro, a package manager or a specific
> media player.
>
> I went ahead and emailed them something to that effect, but maybe it
> would be a good idea for everyone to let them know :D

They are always willing to put up information on how to use it with
Linux if you just e-mail them the information.

The current instructions (still somewhat valid) were written more than 5
years ago.  Since then a lot of other alternatives cropped up, like vlc,
  xine, etc.

I should still note, though, that none of the free distros will support
playing kbyu out of the box.  they all require downloading and
installing proprietary codecs.  Ubuntu does make it easy, but it's not
competely automatic.  So you'd want to make sure they have notes on all
the major distros (a pain).

For fedora, I'd recommend using livna instead of freshrpms.

But just telling users to point their player at some url is probably not
going to work.