[uug] BYU Unix User Group to be Streamed Live!

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:02:58 MDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Jared Bellows <plug at thebellows.info> wrote:

> > I've recently configured WebHuddle.  I know that it works, but its
> > still *very* beta.  I'd say that its going to be a great product,
> > however.  The problem doesn't lie with sharing the desktop or
> > recording the screen so much as it relies on bandwidth for those who'd
> > like to listen/view.
>

> I haven't looked at how much bandwidth is being used but my simple Comcast
> connection was quite sufficient.

How many people were on your presentation?  I'm not sure WebHuddle
will be happy to share their bandwidth for everyone especially when
the audiences grow beyond 100+ (as I hope they will).  We are working
on a solution however.  :)

> It is a Java applet that is invoked from a webpage. WebHuddle creates a link
> that you can distribute to whomever you wish to join the "Huddle". They
> simply enter in the password and they are connected (if they have the Java
> plug-in installed).

Right, that's what it comes down to, some people don't know how or
don't want to install extra components.  I guess in that case, they
could only get audio, but I think there is a way to do it natively and
just provide ogg/theora or something like that.

> I totally understand and appreciate your endeavor to bring these meetings to
> as many people as possible. With WebHuddle it is possible to use their
> server they have setup. I don't know that there are any limitations to it
> but it is currently free.

Thank you, we'll be doing more and more as we grow.  I look forward to
having every User Group meeting (in Utah) recorded and streamed live.
I expect as we grow, many things will change and I'm guessing we'll
need to expand aggressively to accomplish this great task.  Please
stand by as we improve. :)  Also, if you are interested in helping
with this sort of thing, please let me know off list.  We do have a
need for such things.

Cheers,

Clint