[uug] BYU Unix User Group to be Streamed Live!

Jared Bellows plug at thebellows.info
Mon Oct 8 09:48:18 MDT 2007

> I've recently configured WebHuddle.  I know that it works, but its
> still *very* beta.  I'd say that its going to be a great product,
> however.  The problem doesn't lie with sharing the desktop or
> recording the screen so much as it relies on bandwidth for those who'd
> like to listen/view.

I haven't looked at how much bandwidth is being used but my simple Comcast
connection was quite sufficient.

There is one other problem though and that is that the presenter has
> to solve the problem of connecting to this system.  In this case, that
> means they must invoke a java application (IIRC) as well.  Although
> this problem isn't insurmountable, I find it a hassle and an annoyance
> that the presenter has to do anything of the sort.  It takes too much
> time to have them set that up when I could just set up vnc or video
> their laptop.

It is a Java applet that is invoked from a webpage. WebHuddle creates a link
that you can distribute to whomever you wish to join the "Huddle". They
simply enter in the password and they are connected (if they have the Java
plug-in installed).

Don't get me wrong, I love these ideas.  I want to implement as many
> of them as I can, but we need to make sure they're feasible and
> cost-effective too.  Since this is provided for free, I hope you'll
> understand that we'll have many technical issues to work out and we
> sure appreciate the input.

I totally understand and appreciate your endeavor to bring these meetings to
as many people as possible. With WebHuddle it is possible to use their
server they have setup. I don't know that there are any limitations to it
but it is currently free.