[uug] BYU Unix User Group to be Streamed Live!

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 07:45:25 MDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Jared Bellows <plug at thebellows.info> wrote:
> I just came across a project that I think would work great for this. It is
> called WebHuddle (https://www.webhuddle.com/homepage.jsp). It is cross
> platform, shares the desktop, can "natively" display Impress slides and
> includes audio. There are many other features that make this an attractive
> option (Q&A, Recording, etc.)
>
> Jared

Jared,

I've recently configured WebHuddle.  I know that it works, but its
still *very* beta.  I'd say that its going to be a great product,
however.  The problem doesn't lie with sharing the desktop or
recording the screen so much as it relies on bandwidth for those who'd
like to listen/view.

There is one other problem though and that is that the presenter has
to solve the problem of connecting to this system.  In this case, that
means they must invoke a java application (IIRC) as well.  Although
this problem isn't insurmountable, I find it a hassle and an annoyance
that the presenter has to do anything of the sort.  It takes too much
time to have them set that up when I could just set up vnc or video
their laptop.

Don't get me wrong, I love these ideas.  I want to implement as many
of them as I can, but we need to make sure they're feasible and
cost-effective too.  Since this is provided for free, I hope you'll
understand that we'll have many technical issues to work out and we
sure appreciate the input.

Cheers,

Clint Savage
Utah Open Source Foundation