Blogware recommendations?

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Thu Oct 4 22:16:50 MDT 2007

> Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> writes:
> >
> > So having your pages rebuild on every load is better than having them
> > rebuild once when they change and then stay in cache on the filesystem
> > (which will of course be cached by the OS in RAM)? I'm not seeing why
> > that's a bad idea.
>
> Because it's not the way he prefers to do it, apparently.
>
> Actually, it becomes a bad idea when you have a high volume of
> comments on your blog, since each one triggers the rebuild of the page
> it's displayed on as well as the index pages that need to update the
> number of comments, etc.  I saw quite a few sites where this became a
> serious performance issue and prompted a switch to Wordpress when it
> first came out.

This is also why a lot of people pushed for the semi-static type builds  (eg
only generate your comment section dynamically.  Or delay writes in a
standard manner.  Features like this were used very heavily in sixaparts
paid tools, such as livejournal.  But back in the day they weren't part of
the free MT product (2.x versions)

For the blogs of average people, or high-volume blogs with no
> comments, it was probably a good idea.

Yeah, it's also nicer now to be able to choose from different models
depending on your actual needs.

--
Jayce^