Blogware recommendations?

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Thu Oct 4 22:13:28 MDT 2007

On 10/4/07, Wade Preston Shearer <lists at wadeshearer.com> wrote:

> > MovableType is back to gpl.  Perl, can self-install anything you
> > want for
> > it, easily handle multiple sites/blogs, etc.
>
> MovableType is horrible. It doesn't read straight from the database.
> You have "publish" after you do anything, an action that reads from
> the database and writes everything out to flat files.

That's a very *good* thing.  How often do you really need to read and
generate everything from the database?  It's absolutely inefficient for the
vast majority of use cases, especially for small sites, shared hosting,
etc.  Wordpress just follows the basic beginner coders concept that
everything should be dynamic because we can, without thought, because that's
"the way it's done".  There are patches/plugins for WP that try to use some
of this, since larger sites have learned the necessity of caching, delayed
writes, and static content, among other performance concepts.

*IF* you have one of the cases that might actually need totally dynamic, or
even partially dynamic generation, MT does support that *also*.

--
Jayce^