Blogware recommendations?

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:03:44 MDT 2007

My vote is for Wordpress.  It may take a little training for your
non-geek admin... but you may want to give them "Editor" rights
instead of Admin rights, as that will allow them to change post
content and things like that, but NOT have access to the themes, etc.
It runs on PHP & MySQL.

Eventually, when you want to run another blog on the same server, you
simply copy the blog files to a the folder where you want to install
the new blog, then edit the wp_config.php file in root to reflect the
DB prefix you want to use with the new blog.

In /blogroot/wp-config.php, simply edit the line:

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple blogs in a single database.
$table_prefix  = 'wp_';   // example: 'wp_' or 'b2' or 'mylogin_'

And set the variable to a new table prefix, and then run
websiteurl.ext/blogroot/install.php to setup the new blog.

If you want to get nuts, you can get your MySQL tables to a "generic"
setup point, and then export your tables to a SQL file that you can
then point back to your new blog tables (after editing the table
prefix in the SQL appropriately) to "kickstart" each blog's setup
according to your preferred settings.

Finally, if you want to go bonkers with this, you might try Wordpress
MU (for "multiple users") at mu.wordpress.org.  The project isn't as
advanced as it's normal counterpart, and seems like you need a pretty
solid understanding of LAMP server administration and HTTP to get it
to work right sometimes as the list of problems in their forums are
way over my head.  For me, with the 10 or so blogs I have hosted out
of one MySQL DB, the MU version of Wordpress is like trying to take a
sip of water out of a firehose.

Good luck!

--
Robert Merrill