Filesystem Features and Benefits?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Oct 3 21:21:25 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 16:53 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > So I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good file system
> > that can cope with my sporadic but huge amounts of access (sometimes
> > 25% of the total space of the drive may be written to, read from and
> > deleted in a 24 hour period.)
>
> XFS is good for this.  Where I work, we stream up to 100 MB/s to and
> from disk.  This was difficult even with 4 disks in a RAID 0
> configuration until we started trying different filesystems.  Compared
> with ext3 and reiserfs, XFS turned out to be a real winner for
> multi-gigabyte files.

The real answer is to test them out. When I was building out a new mail
server last year I tested out all of the available file systems and
ReiserFS came out on top, due to the fact that mail involves a lot of
little files with a high turnover. I've never tried it in this
situation, although hopefully I'll have a chance soon since I've got my
MythTV box half-built. When I get to that point, I'll try to post my
results.

Speaking of MythTV, if you don't mind my switching topics a bit, does
anyone have any good recommendations for a remote control and/or
wireless keyboard and mouse? Something that doesn't interfere with wifi
and works from a reasonable distance (10 feet) would be key.

Corey