Filesystem Features and Benefits?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Oct 3 16:53:07 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> So I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good file system
> that can cope with my sporadic but huge amounts of access (sometimes
> 25% of the total space of the drive may be written to, read from and
> deleted in a 24 hour period.)

XFS is good for this.  Where I work, we stream up to 100 MB/s to and
from disk.  This was difficult even with 4 disks in a RAID 0
configuration until we started trying different filesystems.  Compared
with ext3 and reiserfs, XFS turned out to be a real winner for
multi-gigabyte files.

Only one caveat: XFS behaves in a surprising way when it runs out of
disk space.  XFS only reports the lack of space when the program closes
the file (rather that during the write() call), leading to unreported
partial recordings in MythTV.  Pretty annoying when the show ends in the
middle without warning.  However, if you avoid running out of space,
you'll never have that problem.

Shane