resolv.conf maintenance

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at
Fri Nov 30 22:25:52 MST 2007

Charles Curley [30/11/07 21:16 -0700]:
> I have a domain,, with its name, etc. served by

I have a similar question, revolving around resolv.conf.

Occasionally (perhaps 1 to 3 times per month) I'll log on either at home or
work, with etch running at both locations. I'll attempt to connect to web,
or check email and my connection will be down. I'll go and check
/etc/resolv.conf and it's somehow, without my conscious intervention,
reverted to

I have made a copy of my backup with two nameservers provided by Comcast. I
'cp resolv.conf.bak resolv.conf' and immediately my connection is restored.

I read at the top of the file that resolv.conf can and likely will change to
something else. How do I exert control over this process, instead of finding
my machine has cut itself off from the net?