What do you think about cherry picking?

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at utahpython.org
Fri Nov 30 10:29:19 MST 2007

On 11/29/07, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> CVS makes this process hard and error prone.  Subversion probably isn't
> as bad as CVS in this regard, but ever since I started using Mercurial,
> I've had no desire to dig deeper into Subversion.  Mercurial gets more
> done with fewer commands.  I've heard git is similar.

It seems that anyone who has to do this much at all with svn ends up
using svnmerge.py -- http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py.

It's not the same as "real" merge tracking built into the the vcs but
it sure makes life less painful for projects where you have to use
svn.  And of course svn has its good points -- tortoisesvn and
ubiquity in IDEs being chief among them.  (There are still shops out
there that don't use vcs at all.  Seriously.  Having a gui client
gives a lot of these people enormous quantities of warm fuzzies.  And
I know that there are GUIs for some dvcs but they are not even close
to fully baked compared to tortoisesvn.)

-Jonathan

P.S.  but subclipse totally blows.