What do you think about cherry picking?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Nov 30 10:14:09 MST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 at 22:48 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Note that I chose to make the change in ~/stable first, allowing me to
> use Mercurial's standard merge mechanisms.  If I had chosen to make the
> change in ~/devel first, I would have to cherry-pick, which is not
> nearly as simple.

Thanks for this explanation, better than mine. :-) I think this is
definitely a good workflow, and can be done with hg, git, darcs, etc.
with ease.

> CVS makes this process hard and error prone.  Subversion probably isn't
> as bad as CVS in this regard, but ever since I started using Mercurial,
> I've had no desire to dig deeper into Subversion.  Mercurial gets more
> done with fewer commands.  I've heard git is similar.

SVN makes this surprisingly painful. When I was working on Ardour, there
was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over merging branches back into
trunk. I was using svk, and svk made it easy. Everyone was jealous, but
apparently not jealous enough to try a new tool. Funny how we're like
that.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach