Automatic Network Configuration

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Nov 29 17:00:35 MST 2007

Thanks to Derek, I now have a Zuarus SL-5500 with OpenZaurus on it to
play with. When I put it in its USB cradle, a new network interface
named usb0 magically appears on my debian box. If I configure this
network interface properly, I can ssh into the zaurus and life is good.

So, since handhelds aren't made to sit around in USB cradles 24/7 it
seems only natural that I'd like to automate bringing up the network
interface. I can think of a couple of approaches, like ifplugd, hotplug
maybe, udev rules maybe, etc. I also hear of newfangled things like dbus
and hal, though I'm still mostly in the dark about those. So my question
to you is, what is teh cool these days for automatic network device
configuration?

Incidentally, I'm disappointed to report that the Ubuntu 7.10
2.6.22-14 kernel does not have the necessary module compiled into the
kernel:

CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_DM9601=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_GL620A=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_NET1080=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_PLUSB=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_HOST=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_SUBSET=m
CONFIG_USB_ALI_M5632=y
CONFIG_USB_AN2720=y
CONFIG_USB_BELKIN=y
CONFIG_USB_ARMLINUX=y
CONFIG_USB_EPSON2888=y
CONFIG_USB_KC2190=y
# CONFIG_USB_NET_ZAURUS is not set
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y

Not sure what makes the Zaurus so uncool as to be the only one left out
of the party. Luckily I have this Debian box sitting around too, and
since it's a network device it doesn't much matter which box on my LAN
it plugs into as long as I set up the routing right.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach