What do you think about cherry picking?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Nov 29 10:45:45 MST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 at 09:36 -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> I haven't used it, but it seems that for me the main problem with quilt
> is when files change names (or move to entirely new directories) between
> the development and stable branches. This is why VCS integration is
> critical, because it knows where the files went and how to "patch" the
> patches in order that they get applied to the right files when merging
> between branches.

Some VCSes don't. *cough* CVS *cough*. More VCSes don't handle patching
intelligently in that way even if they do file renaming to some extent.
Others (like darcs) go gung ho and follow the symbols that you change
(if you tell it to), so that future patches based on older versions will
automagically have that symbol replaced with its new name. It's a
continuum.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach