need help with exim4 and mail transfer

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Nov 21 10:30:06 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:21 -0700, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> +++ Steve [20/11/07 23:17 -0700]:
> > It all depends on how you plan to use the system.
> > I've always found it to be a pain in the butt to have more than 2 or
> > at most 3 partitions on a drive.
>
> OK, I am going to go with one partition on this unused etch box and toss
> having several instead.

I recommend against doing that for a server. I can't tell you the number
of times I have had servers run out of disk space. Most commonly it
is /var and for a mail server often it's /var/log or /var/spool.

The hard part is guessing ahead of time how much space you'll really
need. For that, I like LVM. It adds a very very very negligible amount
of overhead (none that I can measure). But once you have LVM, you can
change your partitions whenever you want, although you may have to
unmount them.

Most distros support LVM (etch does) so it's really pretty easy. I would
set up a separate LVM partition for each of /var, /var/log
and /var/spool.

Of course, file system partitioning gets to be a rather religious debate
so you may want to kill this thread now, before it devolves.

Corey