[Fwd: Re: [Website Feedback] Job posting]

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Mon Nov 19 09:58:58 MST 2007

Nathan wrote:
> What is the chance of finding a Sys Admin job in the Utah / Salt Lake
> county area?
>
> Do companies here mind being approached directly?
>
> I am originally from England, but am now a permanent resident of the
> U.S. of A. - Do employers look down on foreign employees?

In Utah, it is harder to find a good sysadmin job than many other parts
of the country.  Some people on here will disagree with me on that point.

There seems to be a prevailing idea around the area that senior admins
with six to ten years of experience should work for junior admin pay
(but with a senior title).  I personally define "a good sysadmin job" as
one where you have a good company, good challenges, and good pay.

On the flip side, the sysadmin talent around the area seems a bit
sparse.  The really good ones tend to already have jobs they like, and
quite frankly, to get a good sysadmin to leave one job and take another
is a very difficult task, simply because the learning curve on a new
sysadmin job is quite painful.  They either have to be miserable in
their current job, or you have to throw tons of benefits and money at
them.  And generally the second option doesn't even work.

I constantly have a mid to senior level linux admin job open (level and
pay depending on experience, of course).  We are growing quickly, so
every time I finally find a really good admin, I have to start looking
for another one.  I tend to be a little picky, since I insist on having
my admins fix problems rather than cause them.  Candidates must actually
know what they are doing, and not just know how to talk the talk.

If you think you are one of the good ones, send me an email with your
resume, and we can setup a time to talk (and this goes for all you
pluggers who are good sysadmins).

-Steve

A little about the company:

Bluehost.com
We host over 600,000 domains on more than 600 servers.  We are an
accredited ICANN registrar, and we are the biggest Internet bandwidth
user in the state (we are currently pushing 4 Gbit/sec of data, and we
are adding more circuits).