Utah job market and pay for Sys Admins Was: [[Website Feedback] Job posting]

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Nov 19 08:49:40 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 20:31 -0700, Nathan wrote:
> What is the chance of finding a Sys Admin job in the Utah / Salt Lake
> county area?

Good.

> Do companies here mind being approached directly?

I don't think so.

> What can a good Sys Admin earn in Utah?

I'd say in the range of 40 - 90. It really depends on the type of work,
the amount of specialization required, the OS, additional benefits,
scope of responsibilities, current labor market, experience in the
specific field, needs of the employer and a thousand other small things.
I'll bet you can find jobs in the area that are easily below and others
that are above that.

Also, this might interest you...
There's a funny trend that I'm seeing a lot of these days - people
mentioning Linux on their resume when they've "installed Linux once
before".  This can only be good for those of us who only do Linux and
bad for employers who are looking to hire solid Linux Sys Admins.  Fun
stuff.

Anyway, good luck in your job hunt. Continue to lurk.  Jobs postings
cross this way once in a while.

Gabe