What do you think about cherry picking?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Nov 15 12:08:13 MST 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 at 12:00 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On 11/15/07, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> > In my case, I'm trying to decide whether to abandon darcs for
> > mercurial (hg) or hold out hope that one day darcs will get over the
> > exponential merge problem. Right now I sit on the fence. I use hg
> > sometimes and darcs other times. I'm quite happy with both tools, and
> > both have their pros and cons. The thing that makes me most uneasy about
> > darcs (aside from the occasional exponential merge problem) is that it's
> > inconvenient to do "point in time" checkouts, branches, etc. The thing
> > that makes me uneasy about hg (or indeed most other DRCS's, to my
> > understanding of them) is the lack of cherry picking. But thinking back
> > on it I haven't ever truly used it in darcs either.
>
> Well, if that's all that's keeping you from hg,
>
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/RecordExtension
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/TransplantExtension
>
> I haven't actually ever wanted to use it either, though. :)

Actually, in the interest of keeping it short (ha!) I neglected to
mention that hg does have the record and transplant extensions (which I
learned about earlier this morning). The record extension has made me
giddy all over, though I wish it wouldn't ask me if I want to see each
patch (unless it's a long patch - it could be intelligent there). Not
having a real use case to test the transplant extension I haven't really
tried it out yet. I did try a dummy test case and it failed miserably
(file foo went from empty to "bugfix", and it called that a conflict!),
but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work well in a normal situation.

Still, even with transplant (if it works well) and record, nothing
that I've seen approaches darcs in "cherry picking niceties".

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach