/dev/hiddev0

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 11:05:48 MST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 6:57 AM, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> That works if a symlink would work, which would be a temporary solution
> and an easy check. But if the problem is that the joystick driver
> should leave it alone so the hid driver can take it, it wouldn't. (I
> don't know if this is the case or not). In that case, though, I think
> you can use a udev rule to have the joystick driver ignore that
> particular device.
>
> After a quick google, it looks like hiddev and joystick can't both have
> it, so if it's being detected as a joystick you need to tell it to buzz
> off. If no other joysticks are used, you might try blacklisting the
> joydev module, otherwise I'm sure there's a udev rule you can apply.
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.apcupsd.user/2004-11/msg00058.html

Thanks for the suggestions.  I got it to create a hiddev device by
using the usbhid module's quirks parameter but it still doesn't work
right.  It creates both a js device and a hiddev device.  Both emit
data when the pedals are pressed but the data coming from the hiddev
looks incomplete.  I will have to try blacklisting joydev and see if
that helps.  I suspect it might.  Also it turns out the usbhid
maintainer works for my company so I'm gonna try to get him to talk to
me about this.