/dev/hiddev0

Nathan kemotaha at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 18:20:00 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 13:47 -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My sister-in-law, who's using Ubuntu 7.10, is doing medical
> transcription.  They have this USB pedal they use to control a program
> that plays back the audio.  The device is a standard USB HID Joystick
> device that happens to only have three buttons.  The company that
> makes the software she's supposed to use has a linux version.  This
> software looks for a pedal at /dev/hiddev*.  Ubuntu creates an input
> device, /dev/input/js0, which not only isn't in the right place but is
> an input device rather than a hiddev device.
>
> Is there some way I can get a hiddev device out of this thing?  I
> imagine the answer involves udev somehow but I'm lost as to how to get
> it to create a device that accepts the HID ioctls.

It is just a simple udev rule.  In /etc/udev/rules.d you can create a
new file named what ever you want ending with .rules.  Then you put a
line like this in there:

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="js*", NAME="hiddev%n"

I use somewhat similar to rename a usb device.  The udev rules document
is here:
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Very useful.

A couple of points so you don't have to reboot so often.  If you run
"udevcontrol reload rules"  It will read in the rules and do what they
say.  You might have to pull out the device and plug it back in.

Nathan