/dev/hiddev0

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:47:54 MST 2007

Hello,

My sister-in-law, who's using Ubuntu 7.10, is doing medical
transcription.  They have this USB pedal they use to control a program
that plays back the audio.  The device is a standard USB HID Joystick
device that happens to only have three buttons.  The company that
makes the software she's supposed to use has a linux version.  This
software looks for a pedal at /dev/hiddev*.  Ubuntu creates an input
device, /dev/input/js0, which not only isn't in the right place but is
an input device rather than a hiddev device.

Is there some way I can get a hiddev device out of this thing?  I
imagine the answer involves udev somehow but I'm lost as to how to get
it to create a device that accepts the HID ioctls.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Jorgensen