Unable to freeze zone - Bind DNS - problem with views?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Sat Nov 10 15:00:50 MST 2007

I am experiencing some weird errors when I attempt to freeze a DNS zone:

 [root at fw ~]# rndc freeze
 rndc: 'freeze' failed: unexpected end of input

 [root at fw ~]# rndc freeze t0e.org
 rndc: 'freeze' failed: not found

 [root at fw ~]# rndc freeze t0e.org internal
 rndc: 'freeze' failed: unknown class/type

Usage:

 [root at fw ~]# rndc
   freeze zone [class [view]]
           Suspend updates to a dynamic zone.

I am using bind and dhcpd for my local network.  My OS is CentOS 5.  I
have frozen zones before fine.  The only difference I can think of is
instead of using some sample zone files off of the internet, I am using
the ones provided with bind, and they use "views".  I can query the DNS
server fine, I can even do dynamic updates from DHCP clients.  The only
strange issue I run into is I am no longer able to freeze the zones, so
I can update the zones, without breaking the dynamic updates.

I used the sample named.conf file, and made the following modifications
(see attached):
2. view localhost-resolver: my zones
3. view internal: my zones, commented out sample zones
4. include rndc key file
5. view external: commented all out

I am also using the following files:
  cp /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.3/sample/etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf
  cp /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.3/sample/etc/named.root.hints
  cp /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.3/sample/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
  cp /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.3/sample/etc/rndc.conf /etc/rndc.key
  chown root:named /etc/named*
  cat /usr/share/doc/bind-9.3.3/sample/var/named/named.root
/var/named/named.root
  chown root:named /var/named/named.root

Any thoughts or ideas as to what can be done to correct this?

Thanks in advance,
Kenneth