shut down without shutdown

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Nov 9 10:13:36 MST 2007

Andres asked:

> Is there any clean way to turn off the box without using the normal
> shutdown? Since I will not be using a keyboard/monitor, I need a way
> to power down gracefully at the end of the day without first
> executing the shutdown command with a keyboard.

I always use "init 0" for a shutdown, but I suspect it's more or less
the same thing-- I think "shutdown" is really just a nice wrapper
for "init 0".

Do you have SSH access to the box?  You could SSH to it when you're
ready to turn it off, and issue the appropriate command.

You could also set up a cron job that turns off the machine at "the end
of the day" (5:00 or whatever).

These are all really just variations on ways to use "shutdown" without a
keyboard, of course.  If you're looking for a way to slap the power
button and be done, then I don't know of one that won't cause potential
filesystem corruption (or, at a minimum, require an automatic
filesystem check when you repower the machine).

HTH,
Jeff