shut down without shutdown

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Fri Nov 9 10:09:11 MST 2007

I am working on a dedicated file server using RAID-1 and mdadm. I want
to be able to run this box without a monitor and keyboard. Also, it
will not be running 24/7.

Is there any clean way to turn off the box without using the normal
shutdown? Since I will not be using a keyboard/monitor, I need a way
to power down gracefully at the end of the day without first executing
the shutdown command with a keyboard.

I would think that the embedded linux camp would have crossed this
issue by now.

I can think of some kludgy ways to do this, but I would rather not
resort to that.

Thanks,

-Andres