one way network access problems

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Thu Nov 8 22:42:46 MST 2007

+++ Jonathan Duncan [08/11/07 20:47 -0700]:

> On 08 Nov 2007, at 18:33, Mike Lovell wrote:
>

> >Did the XP Firewall get enabled? I have seen it get enabled by
> >itself sometimes. It is definitely sounding like something on the XP
> >box is blocking traffic.
> >

> What service on XP are you trying to connect to?

Jonathan

I'd like to be able to use Network Neighborhood, to access files on XP, from
my 98se sessions. As well, if I am at home and want to find a scanned image
or other file residing on the XP box, I'd like to be able to access it. In
the past I could ssh to my linux box on my office LAN, then mount a share on
the XP box, and access what I need on it.

I DID have my printer attached directly to the XP box, and printed
everything through it, to its printer, but since have moved the printer to
my linux box so that I can print at all.

In any event, I'd like to be able to access the NET, to use Firefox, or IE
from the XP box. What I just do NOT get is that I have two applications that
access the net, to download file updates, or to transfer claims files out to
a clearing house. BOTH of these applications, residing on XP work just fine,
no blocking of their data getting out onto the web. And yet, simple web
browsing FAILS.

scott