help with utopia related legislation

Thad Van Ry thad at linuxnetadmin.com
Thu Nov 8 10:19:23 MST 2007

On 11/7/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007 10:57 PM, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > After having read the full text of this bill I encourage everyone to
> > call their representatives immediately and urge them to vote NO on
> > this bill.
> > It would essentially prevent any city from joining in Utopia without a
> > major referendum and even then it controls with precision what must be
> > said on the ballot when a city decides it wants to either join utopia
> > or provide a city wide network.
>
> I think a referendum would be appropriate.  The people financing the
> project (taxpayers) should be allowed to vote yea or nay for such a
> commitment.  I would think that most cities would vote in favor of
> Utopia.

The problem with a referendum as it states it in this proposed bill is that
the current member cities must have a referendum that is to decide whether a
new city can join. So If Salt Lake City wanted to join UTOPIA, residents in
Centerville (a current UTOPIA member city) would have to have a referendum
vote to decide that Salt Lake City can join UTOPIA. That doesn't make sense
at all.

For those that care, this bill was not discussed in the committee meeting
yesterday. The committee decided to "have staff work on modifying this bill
so that it is more acceptable to all parties involved." The committee will
discuss this bill during the legislative session.

Thad