Clone Failing Hard Drive?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed Nov 7 09:28:32 MST 2007

So, we have a little internal server here at work that is used mostly
for storage and samba shares - it has (at last count) 5 different
drives attached to it (some are IDE, some are SATA, and one that is
in an external firewire enclosure).

As it was built to be a storage server in the first place, the main
drive with the system on it is pretty small, and was relatively old
(this machine was mostly cobbled together from old parts from other
stuff)

All the drives we use for storage are fine, but the main drive is
beginning to show signs of pending failure.  I'd like to get it
replaced with a new drive as soon as possible (have new drive
arriving today), but I'd really, really prefer to not have to re-
configure the entire system as an install from scratch.

Here is what lshw has to say about the drive in question:

*-ide
                 physical id: 0
                 bus info: ide at 0
                 logical name: ide0
                 clock: 33MHz
               *-disk
                    product: ST3120026A
                    vendor: Seagate
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: ide at 0.0
                    logical name: /dev/hda
                    version: 8.54
                    serial: 5JS5GH45
                    size: 111GB
                    capacity: 111GB
                    capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm
partitioned partitioned:mac
                    configuration: mode=udma5 smart=on
                  *-volume:0
                       physical id: 1
                       bus info: ide at 0.0,1
                       logical name: /dev/hda1
                       capacity: 31KB
                  *-volume:1
                       physical id: 2
                       bus info: ide at 0.0,2
                       logical name: /dev/hda2
                       capacity: 977KB
                       capabilities: bootable
                  *-volume:2
                       physical id: 3
                       bus info: ide at 0.0,3
                       logical name: /dev/hda3
                       capacity: 110GB
                  *-volume:3
                       physical id: 4
                       bus info: ide at 0.0,4
                       logical name: /dev/hda4
                       capacity: 1473MB

And smartmontools reports that the drive has had 4 errors in the last
few weeks (2 of which caused the kernel to set the filesystem into
read-only mode and forced a reboot/fsck of the drive, with filesystem
errors found and corrected).

So, my question is then:  how can I clone this drive onto a new disk,
preserving the partitions, etc.  Secondly, if the new disk is a
larger capacity, can I expand one of the partitions to fill the extra
space after I do the cloning?

Years ago I used dd for something similar, but as I recall the
geometry of the drives in question was identical.

Thanks!

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com