How to set the UUID on a swap partition?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Nov 7 16:07:50 MST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 08:02:52PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> How does one set the UUID of a swap partition to a given value?

> I have a kludge: put an e2fs file system on the partition, assign the
> UUID, then run mkswap on it. It's ugly, but it gets you there. Is
> there a better way to do this?

Actually, that doesn't even work. mkswap always assigns a new UUID
even if there is already a valid one. Grumble.

Yes, I can edit /etc/fstab. And there are other places to edit as
well. My problem is tied in with this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/66637 There
is a workaround at
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_7.04_on_a_ThinkPad_T43#Swap_and_Hibernation_problem.

Not good.