TV Writers Set To Strike? I thought they were fired years ago!

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Sun Nov 4 20:41:40 MST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Merrill Oveson wrote:

> The church does not have to have the NBC affiliation to broadcast
> conference.  They could be an independent station like KJZZ.

KJZZ is not independent (at least not entirely).  Neither are they a
pillar of virtue.  They broadcast some nice soap operas, and some of
the same shows that were shown on network tv (that people have
complained about) a few years ago.    Second, why would they
broadcast conference?  Do you really think they would pay to
broadcast it?  If not, then the church will have to pay to broadcast
it and/or pay a station to carry it.  All of which would have to come
out of tithing funds.  So, which temples should the church stop
building to pay for it?  Lastly, even if they did broadcast
conference, none of us could watch it.  It would be a "conflict of
morals" for any church member to watch conference on a station that
carries anything but pristine, squeaky clean family programming.  It
would also be a "conflict of morals" for the church to have business
dealings with such a station, so it would be no different than the
situation we have now.

> True, NBC would still continue to broadcast the same shows.  Yes,
> network TV
> will continue to get worse.  I'd just prefer that that church I
> belong to
> not be a part of it - no matter what the monetary consequences.

So you are saying you would rather have the church stop building
temples to pay for broadcasting conference?  Or stop building church
buildings?  Perhaps they should cut off the Perpetual Education
fund.  Personally, I think any of those things would be worse than
KSL continuing as the NBC affiliate.  You may prefer that the church
you belong to not do that, but too bad.  They do.  I would suggest to
you the same thing I suggest to people who have trouble with the fact
that some members of the church (including some of the prophets and
apostles) practiced polygamy in the 1800's and that the priesthood
was not available to all worthy male members until 1978.  It all
comes down to testimony.  Perhaps you should work on strengthening
yours.

Grant