networking thru electrical wiring

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Nov 2 13:33:21 MDT 2007

Mike Beal wrote:
> Never tried this, but looking into it now. Does anyone have experience with
> using existing electrical wiring for networking? For example, what about this
> device from CDW:
> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1022048

My company has a town house that uses this. I've used it, and it seemed
fine for internet access, but others complained that it was much slower
than a traditional cat5 network. It sure is convenient to just stick a
small box in a power outlet and have network access. For the record, the
aforementioned house had both ethernet over power and wifi.

--Dave