TV Writers Set To Strike? I thought they were fired years ago!

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Nov 2 13:03:17 MDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 08:45:31AM -0600, Joseph Hall wrote:
> On 11/2/07, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can't imagine that the highly intelligent folks on this list spend
> > much time watching TV, OTA or otherwise, so what do you do for family
> > together time (or if single what do you do in your downtime).
>
> Hi, my name is Joseph, and I'm a TV addict.
>
> (pause for "Hi Joseph" from the room)

If you're a TV addict (not a bad metaphor, actually, since TV does
cause physiological changes to brain chemistry similar to some
narcotics), then I'm a former lab cook. I worked for several years in
the TV and film industries, almost always behind the camera. If you've
seen any of the first three Star Drek films, you've seen some of my
handiwork.

That said, I have a TV solely for watching DVDs and tapes. No antenna,
no cable. And I rarely use it for that. I've been without cable or
antenna TV for more than 20 years, and do not regret it in the
least. I know there are some good shows out there, but "good show" is
relative. When it comes to television, Ted Sturgeon was wildly
optimistic.

To answer the original question, I walk, I enjoy the scenery and
countryside in Wyoming, I read (thereby extending my education),
write, and cook. And muck with computers (see my most recent previous
post).

While we're at it, check out TV-Turnoff Week,
http://www.tvturnoff.org/. Note: this is another compromising outfit
here. The truely radical position is to not own a brain thief, except
maybe to watch films like "V for Vendetta", "12 Angry Men", and
"Harry's War".

Or http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/