TV Writers Set To Strike? I thought they were fired years ago!

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Fri Nov 2 09:36:04 MDT 2007

On 02 Nov 2007, at 08:45, Joseph Hall wrote:

> On 11/2/07, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't imagine that the highly intelligent folks on this list spend
>> much time watching TV, OTA or otherwise, so what do you do for family
>> together time (or if single what do you do in your downtime).
>
> Hi, my name is Joseph, and I'm a TV addict.
>
> (pause for "Hi Joseph" from the room)

Hi Joseph

> I actually don't want that much TV these days, except on weekends. I
> would say that 90% of the TV that I watch is Food Network. I often
> watch Anthony Bourdain's shows on Travel Channel, but the rest of my
> TV-viewing time largely belongs to Discovery Channel (especially
> Mythbusters). I would venture to say that a large number of members of
> this list are also big Mythbusters fans.

Mythbusters rocks!  I love the Discover channel.

> Despite all this, I usually just let the Tivo watch TV for me. I'm on
> the road too much to really spend much time watching a whole lot of
> shows anymore, unless my hotel offers Food Network.

My wife and I have cable because there is good stuff on cable, if you
know where to look.  Most of the good stuff has also been mentioned.
However, BYU TV and the NASA channel were left off for some reason.
My wife thinks I am weird for watching the NASA channel.

Like others, I have too many other things in life to do and prefer not
to watch tv.  However, since we got DVR with our Cable, we have found
the joy of watching a series or two, when we want, without
commercials.  So very nice.  If it is in your budget I would suggest
getting cable with DVR so you can record Discovery, Food, Travel, etc.

I like the reading a book with the wife, idea.  If she will go for it.

My kids enjoy ANY time I spend with them.  We could just be rolling
around on the floor and they love it.

I have at times been tempted to throw the TV out the window.  My own
mother broke several TV sets when she decided we were watching them
too much.  It was in interesting experience to see my mother, a gentle
person, to walk over to the TV and push it onto the floor, making sure
it was no longer functional and saying something like, I guess we need
to find something else to do with out time.  =)  Good times.

The best times in my life have been when I have had to actually use my
mind to come up with my own entertainment.

Jonathan