finding sound card

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Mar 31 20:17:52 MDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 17:57 -0600, Brett Rasmussen wrote:
> <things>

I really have no idea what Sqeezebox is, but I know a bit about
configuring sound cards

> How do I figure out what to put in the "my_sound_card" part? I've tried
> the output of scanpci ("VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller") or "asoundconf
> list" ("rev50"), but Java doesn't take either one ("JavaSoundPlayer: mixer
> not found: rev50").

It's quite likely that Java doesn't natively support ALSA, but probably
only OSS.  Fortunately, the ALSA system comes with an OSS emulation and
compatibility layer.  All that needs to happen is to load the right
modules.  To wit:

modprobe snd_pcm_oss
modprobe snd_mixer_oss

> I don't know much about sound on linux, so I don't even know if I'm
> barking up the right tree. Should I just specify "ALSA" somehow? Could it
> be related to the fact that the sound is on the motherboard?

Give it a try with OSS emulation loaded.  If that fails, try upgrading
Java to the latest version 1.6 (SE 6).  They may be supporting ALSA in
that now.

Michael