Recommendations: Simple IM server for office LAN

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Mar 29 14:24:28 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 14:17 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> Are there linux chat apps that support Apple's open bonjour protocol
> [1]? The sweet thing about it is that anyone can talk to anyone else
> on the same network with and it doesn't require a server or accounts;
> it's just client to client.

Bonjour doesn't actually have anything to do with IM.  Rather iChat uses
bonjour to discover neighboring iChat hosts and then does peer-to-peer
connections with them for the purpose of IM.

Bonjour itself, also called multi-cast DNS, is supported under linux.
In fact on FC6, the bonjour client is installed by default, but I've
never had it actually do anything useful for me.  The FC6 daemon is
called avahi[1].  GAIM isn't bonjour-aware, so far as I know, so it
can't do what iChat can do.

[1] http://www.avahi.org