Recommendations: Simple IM server for office LAN

Wade Preston Shearer lists at wadeshearer.com
Thu Mar 29 14:17:02 MDT 2007

> Which Jabber? The server I tried to install wanted a full-blown
> MySQL back end. I want a no-auth, no-config jabber that just works
> out of the box.

I don't know, actually. Sorry, I have never actually installed and
configured a Jabber server. I have just used Jabber servers. We
implemented one into a social networking site (with java client) that
I worked on with a developer and we have one here at work and
connecting and using it was a breeze. I don't know about the
installation process though.

Are there linux chat apps that support Apple's open bonjour protocol
[1]? The sweet thing about it is that anyone can talk to anyone else
on the same network with and it doesn't require a server or accounts;
it's just client to client.

[1] http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/